This is a photographic tribute to my all time favorite ball player: Ryne Sandberg. To learn more about him go here. My prediction for the 2009 baseball season follow the photos.
From that rookie year as a Phillie to that first year as a skinny 3rd baseman, to getting moved to 2nd base, and becoming the all time best at that position, to the MVP season of 1984, to the rest of a Hall of Fame career, and now managing in the minors, first at Peoria, and this year with the Tennessee Smokies, and hopefully soon with the Cubs.
I love to play baseball. I'm a baseball player. I've always been a baseball player. I'm still a baseball player. That's who I am.
I was in awe every time I walked on to the field.
I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform.
Predictions for 2009
1. Mets: No choke this year
2. Phillies: Almost impossible to repeat
3. Braves: Improved, could be a factor
4. Florida: good young pitching, but not ready yet
5. Nationals: at the bottom and staying there
1. Cubs: They win for 3rd year in a row, but it is close
2. Cardinals: The rivalry really heats up this year
3. Reds: Improving despite Dusty
4. Brewers: They had their chance last year
5. Pirates: Up out of last place, a baby step
6. Astros: One great pitcher, and nobody else
1. Dodgers: Manny makes the difference
2. Giants: Good pitching overcomes everything else
3. Rockies: The surprise team of the league
4. Diamondbacks: Everything falls apart for them
5. Padres: Worst team and without hopeful signs
1. Yankees: Order is restored in the baseball world
2.Red Sox: This race goes right down to the wire
3. Rays: Good again, but fade in August
4. Orioles: Have a good year, just in the wrong division
5. Blue Jays: Not enough pitching to compete
1. Indians: They are good every other year, 2 ex Cubs help
2. Twins: They always find a way with sound fundamentals
3. Tigers: Just too many question marks with pitching
4. Royals: Watch out could really put it together
5. White Sox: Where all Cubs fans put them
1. Angels: Should cruise easily again
2. Athletics: Added the missing pieces, its possible
3. Texas: Best bats, worst pitching
4. Mariners: A lot better, but still in last place