Thursday, June 18, 2009

Most Quotable: Butch and Sundance

In an earlier post, I mentioned that one of the main criteria for a good movie is to have memorable quotes. If that is true, then the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid definitely qualifies, as it has great quotes, and plenty of them. What follows are some examples:

Butch Cassidy: Ah, you're wasting your time. They can't track us over rocks.
Sundance Kid: Tell them that.
Butch Cassidy: [after looking for himself] They're beginning to get on my nerves. Who are those guys?

[about the trackers following them]
Butch Cassidy: I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?

Butch Cassidy: Well that ought to do it.
[after blowing the train car to smithereens]
Sundance Kid: Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?

[first lines]
Butch Cassidy: What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.
Guard: People kept robbing it.
Butch Cassidy: Small price to pay for beauty.

Butch Cassidy: How many are following us?
Sundance Kid: All of 'em.
Butch Cassidy: All of 'em. What's the matter with those guys?

[repeated line]
Sundance Kid: You just keep thinkin' Butch. That's what you're good at.

Butch Cassidy: [to Sundance] If he'd just pay me what he's spending to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him. You probably inherited every penny you got!

Butch Cassidy: [to Sundance] Kid, the next time I say, "Let's go someplace like Bolivia," let's GO someplace like Bolivia.

[arriving in Bolivia]
Butch Cassidy: You know, it could be worse. You get a lot more for your money in Bolivia, I checked on it.
Sundance Kid: What could they have here that you could possibly want to buy?


Butch Cassidy: Alright. I'll jump first.
Sundance Kid: No.
Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.


Butch Cassidy: Who's the best lawman?
Sundance Kid: The best, how? You mean toughest? Or easiest to bribe?
Butch Cassidy: Toughest.
Sundance Kid: Joe Lefors.
Butch Cassidy: Got to be.
Sundance Kid: Lefors never leaves Wyoming, never. You know that.
Butch Cassidy: He always wears a white skimmer. That's how you tell it's Joe Lefors, 'cause he always wears a white straw hat. Look at that guy out front.
[Butch and Sundance start running]
Butch Cassidy: Who are those guys?

Card Player: I didn't know you were the Sundance Kid when I said you were cheating. If I draw on you, you'll kill me.
Sundance Kid: There's that possibility.



[Butch is robbing Woodcock's train for the second time]
Butch Cassidy: You can't want to get blown up again.
Woodcock: Butch, you know that if it were *my* money, there is nobody that I would rather have steal it than you. But, you see, I am still in the employment of E. H. Harriman, of Union Pacific Railroad.

Butch Cassidy: Well, the way I figure it, we can either fight or give. If we give, we go to jail.
Sundance Kid: I've been there already.
Butch Cassidy: We could fight - they'll stay right where they are and starve us out. Or go for position, shoot us. Might even get a rock slide started, get us that way. What else can they do?
Sundance Kid: They could surrender to us, but I wouldn't count on that.

[performing their first robbery in Bolivia]
Butch Cassidy: [spanish] Manos a... Manos, um...
[Butch pulls out a card that helps him remember his words]
Butch Cassidy: Manos arriba!
Sundance Kid: They got 'em up! Skip on down.
Butch Cassidy: Arriba!
Sundance Kid: Skip on down!
Butch Cassidy: Todos ustedes "arrismense" a la pared.
Sundance Kid: They're against the wall already!
Butch Cassidy: Donde... Ah, you're so damn smart, You read it!

Sundance Kid: Look out there!
Butch Cassidy: What?
Sundance Kid: We got to talking to some gambler that night, and he told us about an Indian. A full-blooded Indian, except he called himself by an English name. Sir somebody.
Butch Cassidy: Lord Baltimore?
Sundance Kid: Lord Baltimore, that's right, and he could track anybody, over anything, day or night.
Butch Cassidy: So?
Sundance Kid: The guy on the ground. I think it's him.
Butch Cassidy: No, Baltimore works out of Oklahoma. He's strictly an Oklahoma man. I don't know where we are, but it sure as Hell isn't Oklahoma. No, it couldn't be him. Couldn't be him.
Sundance Kid: I guess.

[repeated line]
Butch Cassidy: Who are those guys?







No comments:

Post a Comment