Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Simple Pleasure Everyday


I am fearful for the future of the print editions of newspapers. On our thrice weekly morning visits to coffee shops we seen to be the only one actually reading a newspaper. Everyone else is plugged into a laptop. They may be at a newspaper website, but it is not the same thing.

I love my morning time with the New York Times, which has become the "nation's newspaper." First it is a glance at the headlines and index, while outdoors with the dog, to get an idea of what's ahead. Then someplace warm and comfy, preferably with coffee, and then it is the international section (often this takes the longest), followed by the national section, and the obits. (sometimes the most interesting items in the paper), a short spin through the business section (lately pretty depressing), and a look at the sports, and arts. Each day brings its own special stand alone section. My favorites are Sports on Monday, Science on Tuesday, Circuits (technology), on Thursday, and Escapes on Friday.

I know the future looks bleak for print editions, and I know it takes trees, but I am hopeful I can avoid the day when the morning paper is not there waiting for me when I get up.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate. My favored paper, the one worth reading, is usually sold out by 7 a.m. and sometimes before 6 in my small town. It's a sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete